Monday 29 February 2016

Ruby's Diner, Waverley

When I was in year tweleve, it was so exciting that we were allowed to go out to Charing Cross to buy lunch. After 6 years of schooling at St Clare’s College, they finally had trust in us to be reliable and reputable enough to be let out during school hours, independently.


I still drive around the area, and have seen the queues on weekends on Bronte Road, and have always wanted to pop in to check out Ruby Diner’s menu. So, I finally had the opportunity, and had a nice walk over from Bondi Junction one weekend.

Sparkling soda (Ruby grapefruit & mint) $6

This is the perfect summer chiller, the best part about this house made soda is that you get to mix it yourself, being in control to the amount of sweetness and flavour that is added to your soda.

Gingerbread milkshake $7

I couldn’t resist ordering a milkshake, and the gingerbread milkshake caught my eyes. The ginger spice was subtle, I personally wouldn’t have minded it to be a little stronger.

Raw breakfast salad $19

Their raw salad was a variation of kale, broccoli, avocado with poached eggs sitting on top of soft feta. The eggs were cooked to perfection, and were running once sliced. A nice, healthy and light dish.

Slow cooked grass-fed brisket GF $19


The brisket was tender, and sweet like. The slaw was nice and fresh, the corn was sweet. However, I think the slaw could have done with a bit more dressing, with a touch more tang. I did find it lacked a little pow on the palate.

Fries with aioli $7

For good measure, we ordered a side of fries. Seasoned perfectly and never wrong with a side of aioli sauce..

Brioche french toast $17


There was no surpassing us without making a healthy meal into an unhealthy one if given the chance. It was decided that we were having the French toast once we saw it on the menu, the ricotta was between the French toast, light and went down too easy. The salted caramel was cooked perfectly with the right amount of sweet vs salt. When sweets go down too easy, it’s a little dangerous…

If this was open while I was in high school, I would probably be living off this as my lunch. If I had the funds as a student…

Tell me, did you also have the privileges of leaving school premises at lunch and what options did you have?

Ruby’s Diner
1/173 – 179 Bronte Road,
Waverley

Ruby's Diner Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

4 comments:

  1. Oohhh the French toast!! I hear they do decent burgers BUT then I heard they were mainly known as a 'healthy' cafe. Safe to say it got bumped down the list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! If I went to school nearby I would be sneaking out! I don't think I would have ever earned privileges if the decision was between good behaviour or a gingerbread milkshake.
    Everything looks Yum, I would't have stuck with the healthy option :)
    Great story thanks for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah that french toast looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did leave school during lunch but it was strictly forbidden! Haha so yes but we weren't allowed to which made it all the more fun :D

    ReplyDelete